Founded in 1920, the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM) is one of eight independent music conservatories in the country and is known for superior orchestral, solo, chamber music, and opera music programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Decisions for admittance to CIM are based on a completed application and audition results. The application deadline for fall admission is December 1. Audition dates are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, so please get your application in early! Learn how to apply
CIM is dedicated to training and educating the complete musician for the 21st century. As a CIM student you'll experience an exceptionally creative environment in one of the most culturally rich neighborhoods in the country. With an enrollment of about 450 students, you'll be a part of a musical community dedicated to developing your musical voice and building your future as a musician.
- Learn from world-class faculty: including the principals of the Cleveland Orchestra
- Add a major or minor: experience the benefits of study at an independent conservatory and double major or minor at a top-tier university
- Build a new repertoire: we're developing a new generation of composers and musicians to produce the next great repertoire
- Live in a vibrant community: our campus neighbors and partners are among the most prestigious cultural and educational institutions in the country
- Become a complete musician: develop superior technical skills and engage with the important influences of local and global communities