CIM boasts a large Viola Department, headed by Cleveland Orchestra Principal Violist, Robert Vernon. As with CIM's other string departments, the focus is on orchestral playing, and four of the five viola teachers are members of the Cleveland Orchestra.
Combined viola classes provide opportunities to play for other students and teachers, and the Orchestra Repertoire class is widely recognized for its outstanding preparation of students for professional orchestra auditions.
CIM's reputation for outstanding viola playing and teaching attracts students of extraordinary talent and determination, ensuring a stimulating and encouraging environment to hone skills essential for the future.
- Yu Jin, violist of the internationally acclaimed Miami Quartet, in residence at Kent State University and the Hartt School of Music. The quartet plays over 60 concerts a year.
- Abigail Evans, Assistant Principal Viola of the National Symphony.
- Mary Cowell, violist in the Colorado Symphony.
- Diane Wuthrich, violist in the Tucson Symphony.
- Katherine Lewis, Assistant Professor of Viola at Illinois State University.
- Daphne Gerling, Assistant Professor of Viola at Valdosta State University.
- Ayn Balija, Lecturer of Viola at the University of Virginia.
- Karina Schmitz, Principal Violist of Apollo's Fire.
- Thomas Bandar, violist in the Spokane Symphony.
- Bonnie Yeager, violist with The Phoenix Symphony.
- Naimah Bilal, 2008-2009 Orchestra Management Fellow, League of American Orchestras.
- Timothy D. Zeithamel, Associate Principal Violist with the Toledo Symphony Orchestra.
Meet the CIM String Faculty.
String DivisionViola Department
Dean of the Conservatory
216.791.5000 ext. 204
Administrative Assistant to the Dean
216.791.5000 ext. 273
For a complete list of our Conservatory departments, please see our Departments page.
For a complete list of faculty members and bios, please see our Faculty page.
The Beat Goes On
March 9, 2014, 7:00 pm
A benefit for the CIM Alumni Association
March 16, 2014, 4:00 pm
The Temple-Tifereth Israel (26000 Shaker Blvd., Beachwood)
Influences and Inspirations III: The Musical Friendship of Mozart and Haydn
CAVANI STRING QUARTET
CHAMBER MUSIC MASTER CLASSES
March 19, 2014, 10:00 am
Kulas Hall, Mixon Hall
Takács Quartet, guest artists
Edward Dusinberre, violin
Károly Schranz, violin
Geraldine Walther, viola
András Fejér, cello