A list of library & related resources for visitors to the Cleveland Institute of Music.
Our space was expanded in 2007 to include a lower level, where the Library Media Center is located. A beautiful design combined with enhanced technology and improved lighting and furnishings work together to create an attractive and inviting library conducive to study and expanding your musical horizons.
The mission of the Robinson Music Library is to create a nurturing environment for the study of music, supporting the educational objectives of the Cleveland Institute of Music and fostering our students' own musical growth and development.
Just as CIM embraces the legacy of the past and promotes the continuing evolution of music, the Library provides a full spectrum of resources, from traditional print materials to electronic resources. The Library supports and supplements the initiatives of the faculty toward developing the full artistic potential of our students.
Contact Jean Toombs (phone: 216-795-3181) if you would like to schedule a tour of the Robinson Music Library. If you are a prospective student, please contact CIM's Admission Office for tour information.
Please send a letter or e-mail to the Director of the Library, Jean Toombs, requesting permission to use the library for research. This should include the following information:
- Your name and credentials/affiliation
- Your research topic
- The desired start and end date for your research at CIM
- Materials or areas of particular interest. This is especially important if you would like to consult archival materials, since these are in a staff-only area.
We will make every attempt to accommodate your requested timetable, but may suggest an alternative time.
When you arrive at the Cleveland Institute of Music,check in at the Security Desk. They will phone library staff and tell us you have arrived.
Thank you for your interest in the Robinson Music Library. For information about endowments, planned gifts such as bequests and charitable gift annuities, and special gifts in honor or in memory of someone, please contact CIM's Development Office.
Guidelines for gifts of music, books, or audio-visual materials:
- Inquiries should be directed to the Library Director, Jean Toombs (phone: 216-795-3181).
- All gifts to the Library are unconditional. The Library reserves the right to determine whether an item will be added to the collection.
- CIM does not accept the following types of materials: LPs, home recordings of radio or television broadcasts, photocopies, and music outside of CIM's standard curriculum (for example: popular, jazz).
- At the time of donation, library staff will fill out a form with the name and address of the person who should receive the acknowledgement. The gift will then be inventoried. This form will be used to generate an official acknowledgement from the Development Office, which will include the number of items donated.
- CIM is not able to put a monetary value on your gift. Any donor needing an appraisal for tax purposes should make those arrangements before the items are delivered to the Library.
- CIM is not able to collect materials from a donor's home.