The Young Artist Program (YAP) at the Cleveland Institute of Music is an intensive course of study designed to support the educational needs and pre-college development of serious, gifted musicians in their final two years of secondary school (grades 11 and 12).
Students, many of whom already have an interest or desire to pursue a career in performance or another music-related profession, must apply and audition to be considered for admission. The program couples rigorous musical training and study with similarly demanding music academic requirements. Young Artists are taught and mentored by members of our world class conservatory faculty in a supportive collegiate environment aimed at preparing them for advanced music studies at a college, conservatory or university.
- CLASSES: YAP music instruction includes private lessons, studio classes, performance seminar, musical analysis seminar, secondary piano, music theory, eurhythmics and sight-singing and chamber music.
- COLLEGE CREDIT: Music theory, eurhythmics and chamber music are college-level classes for which college credit is earned and which are eligible for transfer to a baccalaureate program. Credit for applied lessons in the major field of study is awarded only during the senior year of high school with successful completion of a collegiate-level performance jury.
- CONCERTS: Performance opportunities include showcase recitals at the end of each semester, outreach performances, honors and departmental recitals. Additionally, YAP students may compete in the annual Preparatory Concerto Competition for an opportunity to perform with our Conservatory Orchestra.
- INSTRUCTORS: All private instruction teachers are members of our Conservatory faculty.
- COYO/CYO: Students playing an orchestral instrument may audition for the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra and/or the Contemporary Youth Orchestra.
- ACADEMIC & MUSICAL STUDIES: CIM maintains several cooperative alliances that enable all students in our Young Artist Programs to pursue their academic studies at a partner school in the morning and their music courses at CIM in the afternoon.
- EARLY DISMISSAL: If you are currently enrolled in a Cleveland area school, please check with your current school to see if early dismissal is allowed. YAP students must be at CIM by 1:30 every afternoon. If your school allows for early dismissal you do not have to enroll in one of the cooperative schools.
- TOEFL: Applicants for whom English is a second language are required to submit test results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination; a minimum score of 79 is required to attend.
- I-20 FORMS: International students must obtain an I-20 from the student's academic institution and must have sufficient English fluency in reading, writing, and aural comprehension to receive maximum benefit.
- HOUSING/TRANSPORTATION: CIM cannot provide housing or transportation for students.
- MINORS: CIM requires that minor students be accompanied by a parent or guardian unless boarding at Montessori High School.
For more, download the Young Artist Program Handbook [PDF].
The application will be available online on Sept 1, 2016.
All applicants are required to submit a prescreening recording with their application (see below), in addition to their unofficial transcript(s) from their current (and any former) school. The application is due by December 1. Students will be notified if they have been cleared to audition by January 7. Audition dates are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
International students must submit a TOEFL score of at least 79 (iBT) in order to be assigned an audition date. CIM does not offer ESL study to Young Artist students. International students must also submit notarized English translations of transcripts not in English.
If your school will not provide you with an unofficial transcript, you may have an official copy
Cleveland Institute of Music
11021 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
- The live audition and theory testing will take place at the Cleveland Institute of Music on February 1, 8, 15, and 22, and March 1, 2015. Not all dates are available for all instruments; please check http://www.cim.edu/conservatory/admission/audition before selecting your intended audition dates. Students will be notified if they have been approved for an audition date once the application is complete and the appropriate faculty members have reviewed the prescreening recording.
- Theory testing is for YAP applicants only and will be both written and aural. The test will focus on key signatures, intervals, triads, scales, part writing and harmonic progressions.
- It is suggested that parents accompany students for this onsite visit.
Young Artist Program Fees
- CIM Tuition: $6,690
- Comprehensive Fee: $470
- Montessori High School at University Circle (coed, private) (Academic and Boarding)
10923 Magnolia Drive, Suite C
Cleveland, OH, 44106
Admissions - Bonnie Hair
- Shaker Heights Schools (coed, public)
15911 Aldersyde Road
Shaker Hts., OH 44120
Guidance Counselor - Geri Kleinman