Sergei Babayan International Piano Academy
Established in 1996, Mr. Babayan founded the piano academy at CIM to assemble a group of pianists who wish to explore in-depth the instrument and repertoire.
May 21-31, 2013
This intense, highly individualized two-week program with Sergei Babayan will provide each student with six lessons (one every other day) with Mr. Babayan as well as the opportunity to observe the coaching of other Academy participants. Air-conditioned facilities include Steinway pianos; practice rooms are available during all hours. The Institute's main building is open daily (usually 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.). To conclude the academy, students will perform a marathon recital. In addition, CIM offers professional quality Recording Services (audio and video), for an additional fee, to anyone who has a recital program prepared and would like to record an audition tape. Recording Services are subject to hall time and personnel availability.
"This summer Academy will offer an intensely concentrated two-week period of study directed towards the specific needs of each individual whether it be fundamental technical work, the preparation of competition programs or personal philosophical journeys.
"I believe that artists must live and work at a fever-pitch in the incessant pursuit of ideal beauty and the highest degree of artistry. My hope is to inspire students to focus intensely on a single facet of the music, for hours if necessary, in their 'search for the fire-bird.' This way of searching together for artistic expression and individuality has evolved from the great traditions in the Russian school of my teachers - Vera Gornostaeva, Lev Naumov and Mikhail Pletnev. I look forward to sharing this journey towards artistry this summer." - Sergei Babayan
The 2013 Babayan Academy will take place at CIM from May 21 to May 31, 2013. The final concert will be held on May 31 at 6:00 p.m. in Mixon Recital Hall.
- Pianists of all nationalities are invited to apply. Accepted students who are under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent. Eight students are accepted into the Academy.
- Students who apply and are accepted are committed to participate in the Academy. Please make sure tuition funds are available before applying. Full tuition will be due one week after acceptance notice.
- The fees for the Academy are a $35.00 non-refundable application fee and a $1,450 tuition fee, which includes six lessons, use of the practice facilities, and performance opportunities. Housing is not included and is the responsibility of the participants. There are hotels, motels, and bed and breakfast establishments in the area. Rooms are also available in the college residence hall.
- The application deadline is April 2, 2013. All materials must be received at CIM by this date. No exceptions.
- The application packet must be complete and include the following:
- Completed application form
- $35.00 non-refundable application fee
- Labeled DVD (preferred) or videocassette (VHS only), with a minimum of 30 minutes of representative repertoire from three different style periods: baroque, classical, romantic, contemporary, etc. It should be labeled with the applicants name, age, and repertoire. Audiocassettes or CDs will not be accepted.
- One letter of recommendation from the current or most recent teacher.
- A brief professional biography, and a photograph (8x10) for publicity purposes (bios can also be sent electronically).
- International students, please contact the Academy office for necessary documents.
- Students who are accepted will be notified by April 9, 2013. Acceptance form and payment in full are due by April 16, 2013.
- You can download the Babayan Academy application PDF or request one from the Program Administrator:
Sergei Babayan International Piano Academy
Cleveland Institute of Music
Main Campus-University Circle
11021 East Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44106 (216) 791-5000 ext 371
Preparatory and Continuing Education
Dean, Preparatory and Continuing Education
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 252
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 371
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 590
Office hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. Building hours may differ; check concert listings for performance times.
December 11, 2013, 8:00 pm
Winter Chamber Music Festival
Influences and Inspirations II
Cavani String Quartet
Jaime Laredo, viola
Sharon Robinson, cello
MIXON HALL MASTERS SERIES :: MASTER CLASS
January 22, 2014, 5:30 pm
Gabriela Montero, piano
January 22, 2014, 8:00 pm
Kathryn Brown, soprano
Sergei Babayan, piano