Health & Wellness
The CIM Associate Dean for Student Affairs coordinates general health issues with the Institute's partners at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) Health Services and CWRU Behavioral Health Services. See below for further information on the student health program or health and wellness resources from Case and other nearby providers.
In addition, CIM maintains staffing of counseling hours on the CIM premises by having Psychologists available to provide both individual and group therapies to CIM students. These trained specialists also provide additional programming through our residence life program to new undergraduate students on issues facing students in the arts including special discussions on issues such as performance anxiety.
The Institute is able to access information from the Musicians Clinic housed at the Cleveland Clinic to provide professional health information as issues arise particular to music students. CIM also provides information and resources for maintaining proper Hearing, Vocal, and Musculoskeletal health.
The Cleveland Institute of Music provides general information on health issues to students through various orientation programs, Residence Life programs, and special topic seminars/workshops offered to students. Some of these workshops have focused on health topics including: Feldenkrais Method, Body Mapping, Yoga, Meditation, Alexander Technique, ProformaVision and BioFeedback, and others.
All medical treatment required by an individual is managed through professional medical providers.
Student Workers: Health & Safety Training
The Cleveland Institute of Music maintains a thorough departmental training program for students who may be employed to work in Student Work Study positions. In particular, students in the Library, Mail Room, Recording Services, Distance Learning Services, Concert Hall Stage Managers, Set-up Crew, and the stage crew for opera productions are all given instructions in proper use of materials and equipment. In addition students in specific majors who are required to use potentially dangerous equipment are all given instruction in the operation of said equipment, an example of which is harp and percussion majors being shown the proper use of the freight elevator.
CIM also makes available to all students (particularly those in orchestra) earplugs as a means of lessening the aural impact during orchestra rehearsals. Only students trained in the process for moving equipment are allowed to move said equipment.
Developing Balance: The Mind-Body Connection
Student wellness is essential for health, relationships performance and academics. At the Cleveland Institute of Music, and through its shared programming with Case Western Reserve University, students are encouraged to learn more about wellness and the mind-body connection, and to develop a personalized, life-long wellness plan.
Definition of Wellness
The National Wellness Institute uses this definition: The term wellness has been applied in many ways. Although there might be different views on what wellness encompasses, the National Wellness Institute - along with the help of leaders in health and wellness - shared many interpretations and models of wellness. Through this discussion, there appears to be general agreement that:
- Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential
- Wellness is multi-dimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment
- Wellness is positive and affirming
The definition of wellness, long used by the National Wellness Institute is consistent with these tenets. Wellness is an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.
- Physical Wellness (including Hearing, Vocal, and musculoskeletal health) encourages regular physical activities, good nutrition, sleep and occasional connections with healthcare providers to prevent illness and disease. It discourages harmful behaviors that include tobacco, excessive alcohol, non-prescription medications and other drugs. It also encourages the use of preventive care, such as earplugs.
- Emotional Wellness is having the ability to understand, acknowledge and accept a wide range of feelings in oneself and in others. It includes the ability to balance reason and emotion and it leads to improved self-esteem and confidence.
- Occupational Wellness includes making positive career-life choices that lead to personal fulfillment and satisfaction in life.
- Intellectual Wellness includes being open to new ideas and the desire to learn from challenges and experiences. It encourages ongoing intellectual growth, curiosity and creativity.
- Social Wellness involves developing friendships, healthy sexual behaviors and meaningful social networks.
- Spiritual Wellness is the willingness to seek meaning and purpose in human existence; being open and respectful of the diverse multi-cultural beliefs and backgrounds of others and building a set of guiding values and principles.
Student Health Program
The Cleveland Institute of Music recognizes an obligation to assure the physical and mental well-being of its students. All full-time students participate in the Case Student Health Program, which includes care provided by the University Health Service and coverage under the Case Medical Plan. All students who have paid the Health Service Fee are eligible to make use of the services offered within the Health Service.
Health Program Details
For more information on different aspects of the Health Program, click on the links below. For full details, visit the UHS web site, the Case Western Student Affairs Office, or the CIM Student Affairs Office
Programs & Resources
University Health Service: students.case.edu/health/
University Counseling Service: students.case.edu/counseling/
Local Health & Wellness Resources:
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
216.791.5000 ext. 299
Administrative Assistant to the Dean
216.791.5000 ext. 273
Resident Director, Cutter House
13th ANNUAL GUITAR WEEKEND
May 25, 2013, 12:00 am
CIM's Mixon Hall and various studios
Presented by Guitars International in cooperation with CIM
SERGEI BABAYAN INTERNATIONAL PIANO ACADEMY
May 31, 2013, 6:00 pm
Lunch & Listen Recital
July 2, 2013, 12:30 pm
Presented by the Alumni Association