If you want to extend your studies beyond your bachelor's or master's degree, your choices at CIM include the Master of Music, Professional Studies, Artist Diploma and Doctor of Musical Arts programs.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for international applicants
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is NOT required.
Transcripts with grading scales from:
- Your current college or university (if grades are not yet posted, submit a transcript showing coursework in progress)
- Any previously attended college or university. Transcripts must provide a listing, year by year, of all courses taken and the grades or marks received for each. Records must also provide the grading scale for each institution. This applies also to applicants who are homeschooled.
- You do NOT need to submit your high school transcript
Two letters of recommendation:
Your application must include two letters of recommendation from persons unrelated to you who are qualified to attest to your musical ability. The online application requires that you provide the names and email addresses of the persons who have agreed to provide recommendations.
We'll contact your recommenders directly by email and ask them to submit their recommendations electronically. Recommenders may also send paper recommendations to:
Cleveland Institute of Music
11021 East Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44106
DMA applicants only: Academic writing sample
Submit a music history or music theory paper that is representative of your best academic writing with your application.
DMA students are required to submit prescreen recordings regardless of instrument. All DMA applicants who have passed the prescreening round MUST audition live and take the DMA diagnostic examinations in Music History and Music Theory. These exams will take place the day following your audition.