If you have taken any college-level classes since the summer after your high school graduation, you count as a transfer student.
Your class status upon admission is determined by your audition and by admission examinations in theory, ear training and piano proficiency. If you have completed coursework in form and analysis and counterpoint, you’ll also need to take examinations in these areas. Entrance examinations in music theory and dictation are given on the day of the major audition; music theory, ear training and piano proficiency are evaluated for class placement during the orientation week before classes begin.
You must upload the following documents into your online application (see instructions for scanning them). We accept unofficial copies at this point but remember that you'll need to submit final, official documents before you can enroll at CIM.
- SAT or ACT (if taken) for US citizens or permanent residents
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for international applicants
- Optional: Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) test results
- Every previously attended high school/secondary school. If grades are not yet posted, submit a transcript showing coursework in progress.
- Any previously attended school from which you would like to receive transfer credit. Transcripts must provide a listing, year by year, of all courses taken and the grades or marks received for each. Records must also provide the grading scale for each institution. This applies also to applicants who are homeschooled.
Two letters of recommendation:
Your application must include two letters of recommendation from persons unrelated to you who are qualified to attest to your musical ability. The online application requires that you provide the names and email addresses of the persons who have agreed to provide recommendations.
We'll contact your recommenders directly by email and ask them to submit their recommendations electronically. Recommenders may also send paper recommendations to:
Cleveland Institute of Music
11021 East Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44106