CIM provides a concentrated performance environment for all brass students. Two symphony orchestras are the primary focus of our program. Since all participants in the orchestras are student performance majors, these ensembles perform at an exceptionally high level. To complement the orchestras, there is a brass orchestral repertoire class, conducted by our colleague, Michael Sachs, principal trumpet of the Cleveland Orchestra. This class provides intensive preparation of CIM concert repertoire as well as readings of other standard orchestral pieces.
With enrollment restricted to 10 horns, every student is assured a significant number of performance opportunities. Orchestral participation is virtually continuous. In addition, all horn majors are involved in horn class; this weekly event is devoted to CIM orchestra repertoire, readings of other major works; at times it utilizes a master-class format. Students may be involved in all types of chamber music (brass quintets, horn ensembles, brass and woodwind ensembles), wind ensemble, contemporary music, and (through our relationship with adjacent Case Western Reserve University), jazz ensembles and early music. There also is liberal access to Cleveland Orchestra rehearsals and concerts at Severance Hall, just a short walk down the street from CIM.
The joining together of a highly dedicated, focused student body and an equally professional and supportive faculty and staff is a powerful combination that encourages students to achieve the ultimate in their potential. The successes of our students are excellent testimony:
- Ethan Bearman - Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Ronald Beitel - Utah Symphony
- Alan DeMattia - Cleveland Orchestra
- Christopher Dwyer - Saint Louis Symphony
- Matthew Eckenhoff - Louisiana Philharmonic
- Meghan Guegold - Akron and Canton Symphonies
- Warren Gref - San Diego Symphony
- Darcy Hamlin - Milwaukee Symphony
- Bruce Hudson - Minnesota Orchestra
- Brigette Knox - U.S. Marine Band "President's Own"
- Stefan de Leval Jezierski - Berlin Philharmonic
- Michael Lewellen - Fort Wayne Philharmonic
- Jay Matthews - Buffalo Philharmonic
- Michael Oswald - Victoria Symphony (Canada)
- Robert Rearden - National Symphony Orchestra
- Mark Williams - Cleveland Orchestra Director of Artistic Planning
- Bachelor of Music
- Master of Music
- Doctor of Musical Arts
- Artist Certificate
- Professional Studies
- Artist Diploma
Meet the CIM Brass Faculty.