This page is in memoriam of Richard Weiner.
The Cleveland Orchestra Principal Percussion Emeritus Richard Weiner was recently elected to the Percussive Arts Society's Hall of Fame. Hired by conductor George Szell, Weiner led The Cleveland Orchestra percussion section for 43 years; he was a member for 48 years. In 2011, he received The Cleveland Orchestra Distinguished Service Award. During his time with The Cleveland Orchestra, Weiner toured the globe and performed on more than 175 recordings.
Since his retirement in 2011, Weiner continues to occasionally perform with the orchestra and has also performed with the National Symphony, Pittsburgh Symphony, Detroit Symphony and Nashville Symphony, as well as the Grand Teton Music Festival.
- BS in education, Temple University
- MM with distinction, Indiana University
- JD, magna cum laude, Cleveland State University
- Performers Certificate, Indiana University; first percussionist to achieve this
- Teachers were Charles Owen and George Gaber
- Cleveland Institute of Music
- National Orchestra Institute
- Faculty member
- Oberlin College
- Former faculty member