Conducted by Donna Jelen, CIM's String Sinfonia Orchestra is open to young string players ages 7-13 who seek a fun and educational ensemble environment.
Little or no previous ensemble experience is needed to participate. The orchestra performs at the end of each semester with the other Preparatory division orchestras.
Students should be comfortable performing music that is Grade 1 - 2.5 level; performing and sight-reading in the keys of A, D, G, C and F, as well as A, E and D Minor; and reading basic rhythms in simple and compound time signatures.
Students will learn to:
- Count independently
- Execute orchestral bowings
- Watch the conductor
- Blend with the other musicians in the group
*Our ensembles are designed to offer high-quality instruction in the safest way possible, including virtually and using a hybrid format, as the situation requires.
To ensure the health and safety of our community, Spring 2021 String Sinfonia applicants will submit a recorded audition through CIM's online application, due January 4. Applications received after this date will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Questions about the application? Please contact the Preparatory team at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Submit a single video of the following one-octave Major scales: C, G, D, A, F and Bb. 2-octave scales for some or all of the listed keys are acceptable.
- You may perform the scales in any standard bowing pattern, including, but not limited to: Separate bows, 2 notes slurred, 3 notes slurred or 4 notes slurred.
- Scales may be performed in any order. Please announce the name of each scale before you begin to play it.
- Submit a single video of a solo piece of your choosing, without piano accompaniment.
- The solo should display a modest range of left and right hand skills and should be in or at the difficulty level of Suzuki Book 3.
Information for Members
Dates for the next seating audition will be posted here. Please check back at a later time for more information.
Music for the seating audition is emailed to families in advance. You may contact the Preparatory office for additional copies. Full schedules for the year will be available at the seating auditions and the first rehearsal.
Please understand that latecomers are a disruption to the rehearsal. If a student arrives after a rehearsal has begun, he or she will be tuned outside of the rehearsal area and seated in the back of the section for the duration of the rehearsal. Excessive tardiness and/or absences may result in a permanent change of seating.