Conducted by Donna Jelen, CIM's String Sinfonia Orchestra is open to young string players ages 7-13 who seek a fun and educational ensemble environment.
Little or no previous ensemble experience is needed to participate. The orchestra performs at the end of each semester with the other Preparatory division orchestras.
Students should be comfortable performing music that is Grade 1 - 2.5 level; performing and sight-reading in the keys of A, D, G, C and F, as well as A, E and D Minor; and reading basic rhythms in simple and compound time signatures.
Students will learn to:
- Count independently
- Execute orchestral bowings
- Watch the conductor
- Blend with the other musicians in the group
2019-20 Audition Information
To reserve an audition time, please fill out and submit the String Sinfonia application by mail or electronically by May 4. Auditions are required for this program. Auditions for String Sinfonia will be held on Saturday, May 11, 2019 from 8:00am to 3:00pm. Audition requirements are as follows:
- Scales: Students must be prepared to play 1 to 2 octaves of the following scales: A major, D major, G major, F Major and C major.
- Solo Piece: The prepared piece must be performance-ready and agreed upon by the student and his/her teacher. Beginning Orchestra candidates should be studying music from Suzuki Book 3 (or the equivalent) in their private lessons.
- Note Reading: Students should have at least an elementary knowledge of reading music notation for their instrument. This includes accurate half note, quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note and dotted rhythms and notation for notes on all four strings. A short portion of sight-reading will be provided by the conductor during the audition.
You can download the Audition Requirements sheet for a full list of orchestra requirements.
Information for Members
If you are a current or new member of String Sinfonia, seating auditions will take place on Saturday, August 24, 2019.
Music for the seating audition is emailed to families in advance. You may contact the Preparatory office for additional copies. Full schedules for the year will be available at the seating auditions and the first rehearsal.
Please understand that latecomers are a disruption to the rehearsal. If a student arrives after a rehearsal has begun, he or she will be tuned outside of the rehearsal area and seated in the back of the section for the duration of the rehearsal. Excessive tardiness and/or absences may result in a permanent change of seating.
Weather & Other Alerts
The Cleveland Institute of Music uses the Rave Alert Emergency Notification System to notify Preparatory & Continuing Education families of weather-related closings and other emerging situations. When you enroll in a course with CIM, you will automatically receive emergency notifications via email to the email address on file for you and/or your child. To change your email address or if you wish to receive alerts via text messages, please email email@example.com.
Those who travel great distances or live in snow-prone areas are advised to use discretion and good judgment during inclement weather.
The Preparatory & Continuing Education Division will always attempt to cancel events at the earliest feasible time. The CIM website will also have closings or delays listed on its homepage.