Conducted by Donna Jelen, CIM's String Sinfonia Orchestra is open to young string players ages 7-13 who seek a fun and educational ensemble environment.
Little or no previous ensemble experience is needed to participate. The orchestra performs at the end of each semester with the other Preparatory division orchestras.
Students should be comfortable performing music that is Grade 1 - 2.5 level; performing and sight-reading in the keys of A, D, G, C and F, as well as A, E and D Minor; and reading basic rhythms in simple and compound time signatures.
Students will learn to:
- Count independently
- Execute orchestral bowings
- Watch the conductor
- Blend with the other musicians in the group
To ensure the health and safety of our community, auditions will not be held in person. Rather, 2020 String Sinfoni applicants should submit a recorded audition through our online application. Applications will be accepted after July 1 on a case by case basis, as space allows. If you'd like to learn more about the audition process, please contact the Preparatory team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the non-interactive nature of video auditions, sight reading for 2020 applicants will not be required.
- Applicants will submit one video featuring their performance of the following one-octave Major scales: C, G, D, A, F, and Bb. 2-octave scales for some or all of the listed keys are acceptable.
- Applicants may perform the scales in any standard bowing pattern, including, but not limited to: Separate bows, 2 notes slurred, 3 notes slurred, or 4 notes slurred.
- Scales may be performed in any order. Please announce the name of each scale before you begin to play it.
- Applicants will submit one video featuring their performance of a solo piece of their choosing, without piano accompaniment.
- The solo should display a modest range of left and right hand skills and should be in or at the difficulty level of Suzuki Book 3.
Information for Members
Dates for the next seating audition will be posted here. Please check back at a later time for more information.
Music for the seating audition is emailed to families in advance. You may contact the Preparatory office for additional copies. Full schedules for the year will be available at the seating auditions and the first rehearsal.
Please understand that latecomers are a disruption to the rehearsal. If a student arrives after a rehearsal has begun, he or she will be tuned outside of the rehearsal area and seated in the back of the section for the duration of the rehearsal. Excessive tardiness and/or absences may result in a permanent change of seating.