Conducted by Donna Jelen, CIM's String Sinfonia Orchestra is open to young string players ages 7-13 who seek a fun and educational ensemble environment.
Little or no previous ensemble experience is needed to participate. The orchestra performs at the end of each semester with the other Preparatory division orchestras.
Students should be comfortable performing music that is Grade 1 - 2.5 level; performing and sight-reading in the keys of A, D, G, C and F, as well as A, E and D Minor; and reading basic rhythms in simple and compound time signatures.
Students will learn to:
- Count independently
- Execute orchestral bowings
- Watch the conductor
- Blend with the other musicians in the group
Auditions for 2020 will be held in May or June. Once more information is available, it will be posted here. If you'd like to learn more about the audition process, please contact the Preparatory team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Last year's auditions required the following:
- Scales: Students must be prepared to play 1 to 2 octaves of the following scales: A major, D major, G major, F Major and C major.
- Solo Piece: The prepared piece must be performance-ready and agreed upon by the student and his/her teacher. Beginning Orchestra candidates should be studying music from Suzuki Book 3 (or the equivalent) in their private lessons.
- Note Reading: Students should have at least an elementary knowledge of reading music notation for their instrument. This includes accurate half note, quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note and dotted rhythms and notation for notes on all four strings. A short portion of sight-reading will be provided by the conductor during the audition.
You can download the Audition Requirements sheet for a full list of orchestra requirements.
Information for Members
Dates for the next seating audition will be posted here. Please check back at a later time for more information.
Music for the seating audition is emailed to families in advance. You may contact the Preparatory office for additional copies. Full schedules for the year will be available at the seating auditions and the first rehearsal.
Please understand that latecomers are a disruption to the rehearsal. If a student arrives after a rehearsal has begun, he or she will be tuned outside of the rehearsal area and seated in the back of the section for the duration of the rehearsal. Excessive tardiness and/or absences may result in a permanent change of seating.