It is with great pleasure that the CIM Preparatory Division announces the appointment of Keith Holliday as conductor of the Preparatory Orchestra starting in August, 2017. We look forward to Mr. Holliday bringing his vast experience and expertise to our orchestra program.
The repertoire of Preparatory Orchestra presents exciting technical and musical challenges for the advancing string player. Students should be comfortable sight reading and performing music in major and minor keys up to four sharps or flats and should be adept with beat subdivisions and combinations. At the end of each semester, the orchestra performs with other Preparatory division orchestras.
Students will learn to:
- Further develop essential orchestral skills
- Incorporate a wide variety of bowing and rhythmic patterns
- Explore a full palette of musical expression
If you have questions, contact Mary Ann Grof-Neiman at 216.791.5000 ext. 371.
At CIM, we require all students to audition for the Preparatory Orchestra. Auditions will be held on May 12, 2018 from 8:00am - 12:00pm. We will not be holding fall auditions. Audition requirements are as follows:
- Scales – Be prepared to play one 3 octave scale, as well as the conductor’s choice of any two octave major scale from 3 sharps to 3 flats and a parallel minor.
- Solo Piece – Select and prepare a piece that demonstrates a range of techniques (i.e. shifting, spiccato, martele, vibrato). The piece should be performance ready and agreed upon with the private teacher.
- Sight Reading – A short selection of sight reading (with shifting) will be provided to each student during the audition.