The Cleveland Youth Wind Symphonies were established to provide a musical venue for the most outstanding high school woodwind, brass and percussion players throughout Northeast Ohio.
The mission of these groups is to play the most significant band repertoire and to provide an opportunity for outstanding musicians to perform together on a weekly basis.
- Founded in 1989 by Dr. Gary M. Ciepluch and Robert McAllister
- 3 symphonies totaling 450 members
- Season runs from September through early May
- Weekly rehearsals on Saturday mornings in CIM's Kulas Hall and Denison Hall at Case Western Reserve University.
- Annual auditions are held each May for the following fall season.
- Seasonal performances at Severance Hall, the home of The Cleveland Orchestra, and Kulas Hall
- International Concert Tours including:
- Germany and Czech Republic
- Denmark, Norway and Sweden
- Switzerland and Italy
- Australia and New Zealand
- Scotland and England
- Spain and France
- Music Educators National Conference held in New Orleans (1992)
- Ohio Music Education Association State Conventions
- Cincinnati (2002, 2008)
- Columbus (1998, 2004)
- Dayton (1996)
- Cleveland (1991)
Many of their performances can be heard on Cleveland's WCLV 104.9 FM.