The Young Composers Program (YCP) is a one-week course offering students ages 14-19 the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of contemporary music.
The program is directed by CIM's head of composition, the highly regarded composer and teacher Keith Fitch.
YCP helps composition students learn about the field of new music while developing creative and professional skills.
- June 10-16
- Deadline for application and submission materials is April 6, 2018
- Private composition lessons
- A week-long course in the craft of composition
- Exposure to a wide array of important repertoire of contemporary classical music in daily listening sessions
- Workshops on the best ways to notate musical ideas
- Preparation (including coaching with faculty) and performance of student works by YCP's Ensemble-in-Residence, ARS FUTURA
- Professional recordings of student concerts with each student receiving a CD of his/her work
Applicants should fill out the application form and send it in along with sample scores, the application fee, and a reference letter to:
Young Composers Program
Cleveland Institute of Music
Mary Ann Grof-Neiman, Program Administrator
11021 East Boulevard Cleveland, OH 44106
Tuition and Fees
Non-refundable Application Fee: $45, to be sent with the application form
Housing: $235 (linens may be purchased for an additional $20)
Meals: $135 (includes breakfast, lunch and dinner)
Include scores of 1 to 3 original works. Works “in progress” are acceptable, but at least one work must be complete. Mark all scores clearly with the composer’s name. Please do not send original manuscripts—send only photocopies, printouts or PDFs. The Young Composers Program is not responsible for lost or damaged scores. Scores should be appropriately legible.
Applicants should ask a music teacher or mentor who is familiar with their musicianship to write a brief reference letter addressing the applicant’s talent, desire, work habits and reliability. Multiple references are allowed. The reference letter can be sent under separate cover and is also due April 6, 2018.