The Young Composers Program (YCP) is a one-week course offering students ages 14-19 the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of contemporary music.
The program is directed by CIM's head of composition, the highly regarded composer and teacher Keith Fitch.
YCP helps composition students learn about the field of new music while developing creative and professional skills.
- The program will run from June 14-20, 2020
- Private composition lessons and a week-long course in the craft of composition are offered
- Students will experience a wide array of important repertoire of contemporary classical music in daily listening sessions
- Workshops are offered on the best ways to notate musical ideas
- Students will learn from and perform student works by YCP's Ensemble-in-Residence, ARS FUTURA
- There will be professional recordings of student concerts and each student will receive a CD of his/her work
Applicants are required to submit an online application and materials by March 15, 2020.
Include scores of 1 to 3 original works. Works “in progress” are acceptable, but at least one work must be complete. Mark all scores clearly with the composer’s name. Your score(s) will be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not send original manuscripts—send only photocopies, printouts or PDFs. The Young Composers Program is not responsible for lost or damaged scores. Scores should be appropriately legible.
Applicants should ask a music teacher or mentor who is familiar with their musicianship to write a brief reference letter addressing the applicant’s talent, desire, work habits and reliability. Multiple references are allowed. Reference letter(s) will be submitted online along with the application, which is due March 15, 2020.