The Young Composers Program (YCP) is a one-week course offering students ages 14-19 the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of contemporary music and composition. The program is directed by CIM's head of composition, the highly regarded composer and teacher Keith Fitch. YCP helps composition students learn about the field of new music while developing creative and professional skills.
This summer, YCP will be held in person from June 12-18 and include:
- Nine classes covering a variety of subjects, including music theory, music history/repertoire, electronic music, and improvisation.
- One 45-minute lesson with a faculty member.
- Each enrolled student will compose one piece for a solo instrument or small ensemble, and participate in a workshop with the performer(s) prior to YCP week.
- Performance and recording of the student's piece.
- Faculty presentations of their music.
Tuition & Fees:
Room (optional): $250
Board (optional): $175
Deposit: $300 enrollment deposit is due upon accepting your admission offer. This will be put toward the full tuition. The remainder of the tuition will be due by June 1, 2022.
Applications for Summer 2022 are now closed.
Applicants are required to submit CIM's online application and the accompanied materials listed below.
Include scores of 1 to 3 original works. Works “in progress” are acceptable, but at least one work must be complete. Mark all scores clearly with the composer’s name. Your score(s) will be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not send original manuscripts—send only photocopies, printouts or PDFs. The Young Composers Program is not responsible for lost or damaged scores. Scores should be appropriately legible.
Applicants should ask a music teacher or mentor who is familiar with their musicianship to write a brief reference letter addressing the applicant’s talent, desire, work habits and reliability. Multiple references are allowed. Reference letter(s) will be submitted online along with the application.