December 12 Orchestra Concert
In order to keep the hall and traffic paths clear, we will be keeping the performance hall clear of instrument cases, coats and other items. We will be providing a green room for students to leave their belongings. The room will be 217. Students should leave coats and cases in this room before going to their dress rehearsal in Kulas. This room will be available from 8:00 am to 1:30 pm to safely secure cases and coats. Audience members will be allowed in the hall 30 minutes prior to the start of the concert, but not during the dress rehearsals.
Dress Rehearsal and Concert Start time
Dress rehearsals on Dec 12 will be as follows:
- 8:30-9:10 am Beginning Orchestra Dress Rehearsal
- 9:25-10:05 am Preparatory Orchestra Dress Rehearsal
- 10:20-11:00 am Youth String Camerata Dress Rehearsal
- 11:30 am Concert
Dress for the concerts is white shirt/blouse, dark skirt or dress slacks, black shoes and socks.
The concert should conclude around 1:00 pm.
Video and Audio-Recording
CIM strictly prohibits the use of cameras and recording devices in our concert halls. Instead, there will be a professional recording available for purchase. Order forms for professional recordings will be available the day of the concert.
If there are any questions, please feel free to contact the Prep office at 216-791-5000.
The Youth String Camerata, led by conductor Marcia Ferritto, provides an opportunity for advanced students to experience the excitement and challenge of rehearsing and performing music in the intimate setting of a chamber ensemble. The group is limited in size for this purpose.
The students are introduced to the study and performance of works of varying styles. Each piece of music draws on the entire spectrum of skill of the individual player and of the group as a whole.
You can download this year's orchestra calendars below:
Audition requirements are as follows:
- Scales/Arpeggios: Violins, violas and cellos should be prepared to play a 3-octave major and parallel melodic minor scale of their choice from keys up to 3 sharps or 3 flats. (Requirement for bass is a 2-octave scale). Scales are to be prepared in whole bow slurs, 4 notes to a bow, 6 notes to a bow and 8 notes to a bow. Demonstration of martele, spiccato and sautille strokes will be asked. The student may be asked to play a 2-octave arpeggio (major/minor diminished and dominant 7).
- Solo Piece:A movement of a concerto or a single solo piece that shows a range of technical and musical skills.
- Prepared Excerpt: The following excerpts are provided for each student:
- Sight Reading: A brief selection of sight-reading will be given to each student during the audition.