An audition only program, CIM's Junior Young Artist Program (JYAP) is similarly focused on educating serious, gifted young musicians (ages 12 and older). The JYAP curriculum provides instruction in the fundamental components of a thorough music education. As with the Young Artist Program, opportunities to attend master classes, concerts and recitals help students increase their knowledge of music and grow as young artists.
Junior YAP music instruction includes private lessons in the principal performance area with Conservatory faculty and includes harmony-ear training, eurhythmics, performance seminar, musical analysis seminar and chamber music.
- INSTRUCTORS: All private instruction teachers are members of our Conservatory faculty.
- COYO/CYO: Students playing an orchestral instrument may audition for the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra and/or the Contemporary Youth Orchestra.
- ACADEMIC & MUSICAL STUDIES: CIM maintains several cooperative alliances that enable all students in our Young Artist Programs to pursue their academic studies at a partner school in the morning and their music courses at CIM in the afternoon.
- EARLY DISMISSAL: If you are currently enrolled in a Cleveland area school, please check with your current school to see if early dismissal is allowed. YAP students must be at CIM by 1:30 every afternoon. If your school allows for early dismissal you do not have to enroll in one of the cooperative schools.
- TOEFL: Applicants for whom English is a second language are required to submit test results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination; a minimum score of 79 is required to attend.
- I-20 FORMS: International students must obtain an I-20 from the student's academic institution and must have sufficient English fluency in reading, writing, and aural comprehension to receive maximum benefit.
- HOUSING/TRANSPORTATION: CIM cannot provide housing or transportation for students.
- MINORS: CIM requires that minor students be accompanied by a parent or guardian unless boarding at Montessori High School.
Students should fill out the online application. All applicants are required to submit a prescreening recording with their application (visit cim.edu/yap for prescreening and audition requirements), in addition to their unofficial transcript(s) from their current (and any former) school. The application is due by December 1.
Students will be notified if they have been cleared to audition by January 7. Audition dates are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
International students must submit a TOEFL score of at least 79 (iBT) in order to be assigned an audition date. CIM does not offer ESL study to Young Artist students. International students must also submit notarized English translations of transcripts not in English.
If your school will not provide you with an unofficial transcript, you may have an official copy
Cleveland Institute of Music
11021 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
CIM has entered into cooperative agreements with area schools so that academic class schedules can be structured to facilitate academic classes in the morning and CIM classes in the afternoon. It is up to the student to make arrangements with an area school (see list below). Those students not from the greater Cleveland area must live with a parent or guardian or be enrolled in a boarding school; CIM does not provide transportation for afternoon classes or performances. International students will receive their I-20 through the
high school, not CIM.
- Montessori High School at University Circle (coed, private) (Academic and Boarding)
10923 Magnolia Drive, Suite C
Cleveland, OH, 44106
Admissions - Bonnie Hair
- Shaker Heights Schools (coed, public)
15911 Aldersyde Road
Shaker Hts., OH 44120
Guidance Counselor - Geri Kleinman