The Young Composers Program gives composition students the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of contemporary music.
June 12-18, 2016
The Young Composers Program (YCP) is a one-week experience offering students ages 14-19 the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of contemporary music. YCP helps composition students learn about the field of new music while developing creative and professional skills. The program includes private composition lessons, daily listening sessions and workshops on notating musical ideas. Preparation and performance of student compositions will be presented at a final concert.
The program is directed by CIM's head of composition, the highly regarded composer and teacher Keith Fitch.
Dr. Fitch is joined by composers Jeremy Allen (CIM composition faculty) and Timothy Mauthé (former faculty, CIM and the College of William and Mary).
For more information, contact email@example.com.
The mission of the Young Composers Program is to help composition students (ages 14-19) learn about the field of new music while developing creative and professional skills. During this week-long summer program, students will greatly benefit from:
- A private composition lesson
- A week-long course in the craft of composition
- Exposure to a wide array of important repertoire of contemporary classical music in daily listening sessions
- Workshops on the best ways to notate musical ideas
... and most importantly,
- The preparation (including coaching with faculty) and performance of student works by YCP's Ensemble-in-Residence, ARS FUTURA.
- The student concerts will be professionally recorded and each student will receive a CD of his/her work!
Learn about the Young Composers Program faculty.
Open to students ages 14-19
Tuition $840 | Non-refundable Application Fee $45
Housing $230 | Meals $210 (Includes Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)
Application Deadline - March 12
In order to apply to YCP, please submit the following:
- Application Form
- Reference Letter (can be sent under separate cover)
- 1-3 Scores (one must be complete)
- Non-refundable $45 Application Fee
Include scores of 1 to 3 original works. Works “in progress” are acceptable, but at least one work must be complete. Please mark all scores clearly with composer’s name. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS—send only photocopies, printouts or pdfs. The Young Composers Program is not responsible for lost or damaged scores. Scores should be appropriately legible.
Applicants should ask a music teacher or mentor who is familiar with their musicianship to write a brief reference letter addressing the applicant’s talent, desire, work habits and reliability. Multiple references are allowed. The reference letter can be sent under separate cover and is also due March 12.