Learn virtually from the renowned pedagogues of CIM’s Voice Department!
Whether you’re looking to improve your vocal technique, considering majoring in voice performance in college or have already chosen classical singing as a career and want to hone your skills or apply new methods in your classroom, you can learn from the Cleveland Institute of Music’s acclaimed conservatory faculty this summer.
CIM voice faculty Clifford Billions, Dina Kuznetsova, Mary Schiller and Dean Southern, joined by vocal coaches François Germain and John Simmons, lead this five-day intensive exploring the essential components of classical singing, including the physiology of singing, vocal health, diction, technique, interpretation, communication and much more. In addition to classes, lessons and master classes, faculty will engage in panel discussions, including topics on college applications and repertoire, as well as the variety of career paths available to singers in today’s musical world.
About the Virtual Intensive
The intensive takes place Monday, June 22 – Friday, June 26. Recommended for ages 16 and up, the intensive creates opportunities for participants to:
- Take two 30-minute lessons with faculty members
- Receive a private vocal coaching
- Engage in discussions
- Perform in a master class (limited spots available; 12 participants will be chosen based on audition recordings)
Sample daily schedule (all times Eastern Daylight):
- 11:30am-12pm: Daily stretch
- 12-1pm: Elements of Technique class
- 1-2pm: Lunch break
- 2-3pm: Master class
- 3-4pm: Principles of Diction class
- 4-7pm: Lessons and coachings
How to Apply or Observe
Apply and audition to be a participant in the intensive by June 8, or register to observe classes and discussions.
Submit your application and audition recordings by Monday, June 8!
- Audition recordings should be submitted in the application form as a link to an unlisted YouTube video. Click here for tips on how to record an audition video.
- Audition recording repertoire should include:
- Two selections of the applicant’s choice, preferably in two different languages (live or pre-recorded piano accompaniment preferred, but not required)
We welcome observers of all ages to view classes and discussions for a fee. Observers are required to register by Thursday, June 18.
The costs and fees to participate in the intensive or to observe.
Going Virtual with CIM
We recommend using a wired internet connection for the best experience. If you are unable to connect your desktop, laptop or tablet to the internet using an Ethernet cable, a strong, stable Wi-Fi connection and/or cellular data may be used. Check the speed and strength of your Wi-Fi at speedtest.net; connections of at least 20 mbps (download) and 10 mbps (upload) are best. If yours is below 10 mbps (download) or 5 mbps (upload), you may need an upgrade from your internet provider. Upload speeds below 5 mbps will produce poor quality video and audio.
We also recommend that participants have access to an external microphone and webcam for best video and audio quality.