Learn virtually from renowned violinists Ilya Kaler, Olga Dubossarskaya Kaler and Stephen Rose!
Are you pursuing a career in music? Whether you’re preparing for conservatory auditions, focusing on winning your next professional job or honing your performance skills, you can learn from the Cleveland Institute of Music’s acclaimed conservatory faculty this summer.
CIM faculty Ilya Kaler, the only violinist to win the gold medal at the Tchaikovsky, Sibelius and Paganini competitions; Olga Dubossarskaya Kaler, acclaimed soloist and pedagogue; and Stephen Rose, principal second violin of The Cleveland Orchestra, lead this five-day intensive, focusing on technique and audition preparation. Through master classes and private lessons, participants will explore the orchestral and solo violin repertoire and learn about fundamentals and practice methods. With discussions focused on college and orchestra auditions, the week culminates with a mock audition.
About the Virtual Intensive
The intensive takes place Monday, June 15 – Friday, June 19. Recommended for pre-college through age 30, the intensive creates opportunities for participants to:
- Perform in a master class
- Receive feedback on their playing
- Engage in discussions
- Take one 45-minute lesson
- Perform in a mock audition (repertoire will consist of 3-4 excerpts of each participant’s choice, showcasing a variety of musical styles and periods)
Sample daily schedule (all times Eastern Daylight):
- 10:30am-12pm: Master class
- 12-1pm: Lunch break
- 1-3pm: Master class or discussion
- 3-6pm: Lessons
How to Apply or Observe
Apply and audition to be a participant in the intensive by June 1, or register to observe classes, discussions and the mock audition.
Submit your application and audition recordings by Monday, June 1!
- Audition recordings should be submitted in the application form as a link to an unlisted YouTube video. Click here for tips on how to record an audition video.
- Audition recording repertoire should include:
- One movement from a Bach sonata or partita
- Exposition from a standard Classical or Romantic concerto
We welcome observers of all ages to view classes, discussions and the mock audition for a fee. Observers are required to register by Thursday, June 11.
The costs and fees to participate in the intensive or to observe.
Going Virtual with CIM
We recommend using a wired internet connection for the best experience. If you are unable to connect your desktop, laptop or tablet to the internet using an Ethernet cable, a strong, stable Wi-Fi connection and/or cellular data may be used. Check the speed and strength of your Wi-Fi at speedtest.net; connections of at least 20 mbps (download) and 10 mbps (upload) are best. If yours is below 10 mbps (download) or 5 mbps (upload), you may need an upgrade from your internet provider. Upload speeds below 5 mbps will produce poor quality video and audio.
We also recommend that participants have access to an external microphone and webcam for best video and audio quality.