Learn virtually from renowned violinists Ilya Kaler, Olga Dubossarskaya Kaler, Philip Setzer and Jessica Lee! Are you pursuing a career in music? Whether you’re preparing for conservatory or graduate auditions, focusing on winning your next professional job or honing your performance skills, you can learn from the Cleveland Institute of Music’s acclaimed conservatory faculty this summer.
CIM faculty Ilya Kaler, the only violinist to win the gold medal at the Tchaikovsky, Sibelius and Paganini competitions; Olga Dubossarskaya Kaler, acclaimed soloist and pedagogue; Philip Setzer, founding member of the Emerson String Quartet and Jessica Lee, assistant concertmaster of The Cleveland Orchestra, lead this three-day intensive, focusing on technique and audition preparation for pre-college and college students as well as young professionals. Through master classes and private lessons, participants will explore orchestral and solo violin repertoire and learn about fundamentals and practice methods. With discussions focused on college, graduate school and professional auditions, the week culminates with a mock audition.
About the Virtual Intensive
The intensive takes place June 8-10. Recommended for musicians preparing for college, graduate school, orchestral or other professional auditions, the intensive creates opportunities for participants to:
- Perform in a master class
- Receive feedback on their playing
- Engage in discussions
- Take one individual lesson with a faculty member
- Perform in a mock audition and receive written feedback from faculty
Click here to view the schedule.
How to Apply or Observe
Apply and audition to be a participant in the intensive by May 1, or register to observe classes, discussions and the mock audition.
Submit your application and audition by May 1!
- Audition recordings should be submitted in the application form as a link to an unlisted YouTube video. Click here for tips on how to record an audition video.
- Audition recording repertoire should include:
- One movement from a Bach sonata or partita
- Exposition from a standard Classical or Romantic concerto
We welcome observers of all ages to view classes, discussions and the mock audition for a fee. Observers are required to register by June 6.
The costs and fees to participate in the intensive or to observe.
- Non-refundable application fee: $95
- If selected as a participant, the remaining balance will be $200 to register.
- Those applicants not chosen as participants will be automatically registered as observers at no additional cost.
Observer cost: $95
Observers are welcome to view all classes, discussions and the mock audition. Registration is required; limit one device per registration.
Going Virtual with CIM
We recommend using a wired internet connection for the best experience. If you are unable to connect your desktop, laptop or tablet to the internet using an Ethernet cable, a strong, stable Wi-Fi connection and/or cellular data may be used. Check the speed and strength of your Wi-Fi at speedtest.net; connections of at least 20 mbps (download) and 10 mbps (upload) are best. If yours is below 10 mbps (download) or 5 mbps (upload), you may need an upgrade from your internet provider. Upload speeds below 5 mbps will produce poor quality video and audio.
We also recommend that participants have access to an external microphone and webcam for best video and audio quality.