If you’re preparing for conservatory or graduate auditions or wish to hone your performance skills, you can learn from the Cleveland Institute of Music’s acclaimed conservatory faculty this winter!
CIM faculty Michael Sachs, principal trumpet of The Cleveland Orchestra, and Michael Miller, fourth/utility trumpet of The Cleveland Orchestra, lead this three-day comprehensive overview of the tools needed for a successful college audition. During the intensive, faculty will cover standard solo pieces, etudes and orchestral trumpet repertoire typically required for college auditions, as well as discuss repertoire choices, how to practice, conditioning and the mental approach for success.
About the Virtual Intensive
The intensive takes place December 5-7. Recommended for ages 16-25, the intensive creates opportunities for participants to:
- Engage in discussions with participants and faculty.
- Take one 30-minute lesson with Michael Sachs or Michael Miller.
- Play one solo piece, etude or orchestral passage during a class (to be assigned based on preference).
- Perform in a mock college audition and receive written feedback from faculty.
How to Apply or Observe
Apply and audition to be one of twenty participants! The deadline to apply as a participant has been extended to November 5. You may also register as an observer by December 3 to watch the classes, discussions and mock audition.
Submit your application and audition by November 5!
- Audition recordings should be submitted in the application form as a link to an unlisted YouTube video. Click here for tips on how to record an audition video.
- Audition recording repertoire should include:
- Haydn: Trumpet Concerto in E-flat (mvt I, exposition)
- Charlier: Etude No. 2 (opening section, mm 1-24)
- Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition (I. Promenade, mm 1-8)
We welcome observers of all ages to view classes, discussions and the mock audition for a fee. Observers can register here by December 3.
Find the costs and fees to participate in the intensive or to observe.
- Non-refundable application fee: $95
- If selected as a participant, the remaining balance will be $200 to register.
- Applicants not chosen as participants will be automatically registered as observers at no additional cost.
Observer cost: $95
Observers are welcome to view all classes, discussions and the mock audition. Registration is required; limit one device per registration.
Going Virtual with CIM
We recommend using a wired internet connection for the best experience. If you are unable to connect your desktop, laptop or tablet to the internet using an Ethernet cable, a strong, stable Wi-Fi connection and/or cellular data may be used. Check the speed and strength of your Wi-Fi at speedtest.net; connections of at least 20 mbps (download) and 10 mbps (upload) are best. If yours is below 10 mbps (download) or 5 mbps (upload), you may need an upgrade from your internet provider. Upload speeds below 5 mbps will produce poor quality video and audio.
We also recommend that participants have access to an external microphone and webcam for best video and audio quality.