If you’re preparing for conservatory or graduate auditions or wish to hone your performance skills, you can learn from the Cleveland Institute of Music’s acclaimed conservatory faculty this winter!
CIM faculty Ilya Kaler, the only violinist to win the gold medal at the Tchaikovsky, Sibelius and Paganini competitions; Olga Dubossarskaya Kaler, acclaimed soloist and pedagogue; Stephen Rose, principal second violin of The Cleveland Orchestra; Philip Setzer, founding member of the Emerson String Quartet; and Jessica Lee, assistant concertmaster of The Cleveland Orchestra, lead this five-day intensive, focusing on technique and college audition preparation. Through master classes and private lessons, participants will explore the orchestral and solo violin repertoire and learn about fundamentals and practice methods. With discussions focused on college and graduate school auditions, the week culminates with a mock audition.
About the Virtual Intensive
The intensive takes place December 7-11. Recommended for ages 16-25, the intensive creates opportunities for participants to:
- Perform in a master class.
- Receive feedback on their playing.
- Engage in discussions.
- Take one individual lesson with a faculty member.
- Perform in a mock college audition.
Tentative schedule (EST):
December 7-11 | 3-10pm
How to Apply or Observe
Apply and audition to be a participant in the intensive by November 1, or register to observe classes, discussions and the mock audition.
Submit your application and audition by November 1!
- Audition recordings should be submitted in the application form as a link to an unlisted YouTube video. Click here for tips on how to record an audition video.
- Audition recording repertoire should include:
- One movement of a concerto of the applicant’s choice
- One movement of a Bach solo of the applicant’s choice
- One etude of the applicant’s choice
We welcome observers of all ages to view classes, discussions and the mock audition for a fee. Observers can register here by December 5.
Find the costs and fees to participate in the intensive or to observe.
- Non-refundable application fee: $95
- If selected as a participant, the remaining balance will be $200 to register.
- Those applicants not chosen as participants will be automatically registered as observers at no additional cost.
Observer cost: $95
Observers are welcome to view all classes, discussions and the mock audition. Registration is required; limit one device per registration.
Going Virtual with CIM
We recommend using a wired internet connection for the best experience. If you are unable to connect your desktop, laptop or tablet to the internet using an Ethernet cable, a strong, stable Wi-Fi connection and/or cellular data may be used. Check the speed and strength of your Wi-Fi at speedtest.net; connections of at least 20 mbps (download) and 10 mbps (upload) are best. If yours is below 10 mbps (download) or 5 mbps (upload), you may need an upgrade from your internet provider. Upload speeds below 5 mbps will produce poor quality video and audio.
We also recommend that participants have access to an external microphone and webcam for best video and audio quality.