Since our founding in 1920, the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM) has offered inspired teaching by creative faculty. In addition to the University Circle Main Campus, the Preparatory and Continuing Education Division has four branches, located in communities throughout northeast Ohio. A quality music education is closer than you think!
CIM strives to be an outlet for creative musical endeavors, and our doors are open to amateur and professional musicians alike. We believe that the skills learned during the course of music study, whatever the age, enhance the quality of life and nurture the human spirit.
As one of only eight independent music conservatories remaining in the US, the Cleveland Institute of Music provides a wealth of musical experiences. Inspiration can be drawn from over 500 orchestral and chamber concerts, staged operas, and faculty recitals of the highest caliber, most of which are free of charge. All CIM students have access to the abundant educational resources located in the beautiful Robinson Music Library.
Percussion Department Recital
December 17, 2014, 6:00 pm
Lessons and programs for students of all ages and skill levels include:
- Eurhythmics: Classes available for ages 3-18. Eurhythmics provides an introduction to the basic elements of music through movement and sound.
- Private vocal and instrumental instruction: Private lessons offer the opportunity to work one-on-one with a member of CIM's renowned faculty. Lesson days and times vary by branch.
- Suzuki Studies: Developed by Dr. Shinichi Suzuki, this method teaches music similar to the way language is learned in early childhood through listening, imitation, repetition and encouragement.
- Musicianship: Music theory / ear-training lessons and classes taken in conjunction with private lesson instruction, enriches and enhances skills needed for a complete musical education.
- Ensembles: Chamber Music, Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony and String Orchestras provide participation opportunities for young musicians throughout Northeast Ohio whether or not they study privately at CIM.
Junior Young Artist Program: A program providing instruction in the fundamental components of a thorough music education for serious music students (grades 7-10).
Young Artists Program: A rigorous course of music study combined with an equally demanding academic program that provides a solid foundation for highly gifted music students (grades 11-12).
Certificate Program: A program geared towards the serious music student seeking to strengthen their musical foundations. The program's core curriculum is made up of components' designed to enrich and develop a well-rounded musician.
Application & Enrollment
We are now accepting applications from ages 3 through adult, for lessons in piano, voice, percussion, string and wind instruments, theory and composition. Other offerings include Eurhythmics and Theory classes, Chamber Music, Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony and String Orchestras.
Submitting an application does not guarantee placement, as classes and lessons are limited to availability.
Back to top
Division News & Highlights
New Preparatory Branches
The Cleveland Institute of Music is proud to announce the addition of new branches in Chagrin Falls and Crocker Park. Beginning through advanced studies, the opportunity to embark on a musical journey guided by world-class faculty and musicians is available in five locations throughout the Cleveland area.
We are presently accepting applications from ages 3-adult, for lessons in piano, voice, percussion, string and wind instruments, theory and composition. Other offerings include eurhythmics, theory classes, chamber music, Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony and string orchestra.
- CHAGRIN FALLS
- CROCKER PARK
- SHAKER HEIGHTS - East and West
- UNIVERSITY CIRCLE
Carl E. Baldassarre Composer/Performer Competition
The Carl E. Baldassarre Composer-Performer Competition was open to non-composition majors in both the Conservatory and Preparatory divisions at CIM. Ten finalists performed their original works before a panel of judges and an audience, competing for prizes totaling $5,000!
The 2014 winners were:
|Junior Prep Division
||Senior Prep Division
Audience Choice Winner: Alexander L. Berko
Back to top