Grow, create and perform.
Create something new and find opportunities to showcase your talent and make lasting friends. At CIM, you’ll find faculty and mentors who are invested in your education and growth as an artist.
In the summertime, we offer specialty programming in music theory and composition; private lessons for all ages, including adult learners; and host the Sphinx Organization’s Performance Academy for young string musicians.
Learn more about CIM’s Summer Programs for the opportunity to create, discover and collaborate with other musicians.
Applications for private lessons during Summer 2022 are now closed. Click here to learn more about our options for private lessons during the school year.
Check back here for updates on private lessons for Summer 2023!
Taught by CIM faculty Allen Yueh, the virtual Music Theory Bootcamp is designed as an introduction or review of musical notation, composition and harmonic analysis, recommended for ages 12 and up. Participants of the bootcamp will engage in composition exercises, music notations analyses and listening analyses to improve their analytical skills and understanding of the fundamental tools of music. While no previous experience is required to participate, students should have an interest in exploring:
- Music fundamentals
- Species counterpoint
- Chords and inversions
- Functional harmony
- Roman numeral analysis
- Four-part writing
After completing the online bootcamp, students will be able to:
- Understand notes, musical rhythms, intervals and scales
- Recognize and utilize fundamental chords and harmonic progressions
- Write short compositions
- Analyze music
Details & Enrollment
Summer 2022 Music Theory Bootcamp takes place online from June 27-August 5 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1-2:30pm EST.
A $650 tuition fee is due upon registration. Applications received after June 20, 2022, will be charged a $50 late registration fee. Register online now.
The Young Composers Program (YCP) is a one-week course offering students ages 14-19 the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of contemporary music and composition. The program is directed by CIM's head of composition, the highly regarded composer and teacher Keith Fitch. YCP helps composition students learn about the field of new music while developing creative and professional skills.
This summer, YCP will be held in person from June 12-18 and include:
- Nine classes covering a variety of subjects, including music theory, music history/repertoire, electronic music, and improvisation.
- One 45-minute lesson with a faculty member.
- Each enrolled student will compose one piece for a solo instrument or small ensemble, and participate in a workshop with the performer(s) prior to YCP week.
- Performance and recording of the student's piece.
- Faculty presentations of their music.
Tuition & Fees:
Room (optional): $250
Board (optional): $175
Deposit: $300 enrollment deposit is due upon accepting your admission offer. This will be put toward the full tuition. The remainder of the tuition will be due by June 1, 2022.
Applications for Summer 2022 are now closed.
Applicants are required to submit CIM's online application and the accompanied materials listed here:
- Required scores: Include scores of 1 to 3 original works. Works “in progress” are acceptable, but at least one work must be complete. Mark all scores clearly with the composer’s name. Your score(s) will be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not send original manuscripts—send only photocopies, printouts or PDFs. The Young Composers Program is not responsible for lost or damaged scores. Scores should be appropriately legible.
- Reference letter: Applicants should ask a music teacher or mentor who is familiar with their musicianship to write a brief reference letter addressing the applicant’s talent, desire, work habits and reliability. Multiple references are allowed. Reference letter(s) will be submitted online along with the application.
Sphinx Performance Academy (SPA) is a full-scholarship intensive summer chamber music and solo performance program with a focus on cultural diversity, for string musicians ages 11-17. Curriculum includes lessons, masterclasses, recitals, career enrichment sessions, and mentorship tailored to each student. SPA Cleveland Institute of Music offers a chamber music and solo repertoire focus for violin, viola, and cello.
All accepted applicants for the Sphinx Performance Academy will receive a full scholarship to the program, including room and board.
Click here for more information.