June 27, 2019
JoAnn Falletta Headlines 2019-20 CIM Orchestra Season
JoAnn Falletta, renowned music director of the Buffalo Philharmonic and Virginia Symphony orchestras, joins eight internationally acclaimed guest conductors for Cleveland Institute of Music Orchestra concerts during the 2019-20 academic year, the school announced today.
“This roster of brilliant, important conductors continues a CIM tradition of bringing in artists who come from diverse backgrounds, experiences and pedagogical methods which will make for an engaging and exciting year of music-making,” said Paul W. Hogle, CIM president and CEO. “Each one of these artists will create meaningful experiences for our students in what is shaping up to be a remarkably accomplished incoming class in fall 2019. Next season, we’re featuring two chamber orchestra concerts, one led by visiting chamber music faculty Todd Phillips from the concertmaster’s seat, and one by violin faculty Jaime Laredo, who will both perform as a soloist and conduct the ensemble.”
The nine esteemed conductors, in order of appearance are:
- CIM alumna Mélisse Brunet, Director of Orchestral Activities, Appalachian State University Hayes School of Music and Music Director, Appalachian Symphony Orchestra
- Andrew Grams, Music Director, Elgin (IL) Symphony Orchestra and former Assistant Conductor, The Cleveland Orchestra
- Todd Phillips, CIM visiting chamber music faculty and founding member, Orion String Quartet
- James Ross, Music Director, Alexandria (VA) Symphony Orchestra, and Orchestra Director, National Youth Orchestra USA at Carnegie Hall
- JoAnn Falletta, Music Director, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and Virginia Symphony Orchestra, and Principal Guest Conductor of the Brevard Music Center in North Carolina
- Timothy Muffitt, Music Director, Baton Rouge (LA) Symphony Orchestra, and Music Director, Lansing (MI) Symphony Orchestra; also Artistic Director, Chautauqua (NY) Institution's Music School
- Jaime Laredo, CIM violin faculty and Music Director, Vermont Symphony Orchestra, and Conductor, New York String Orchestra at Carnegie Hall
- Carlos Kalmar, Music Director, Oregon Symphony, and Artistic Director and Principal Conductor, Grant Park Music Festival in Chicago
- Joseph Young, Music Director, Berkeley (CA) Symphony, and Ruth Blaustein Rosenberg Artistic Director of Ensembles, Peabody Institute at Johns Hopkins University
“Varied and multifaceted, our guest conductors next season will raise the level of the ensemble as well as the students’ individual performances. They truly embody artistic excellence and a passion for music and teaching,” said Dr. Judy A. Bundra, chief academic officer and dean of the conservatory at CIM. “Each year we offer our students the opportunity to work with some of today’s superb conducting talents. Welcoming this extraordinary lineup of conductors to CIM reinforces our reputation as an exceptional training ground for orchestral players. Each brings a fresh perspective and musical voice that will challenge and inspire our students to become the world’s most talented and successful classical musicians.”
These nine conductors join a list of luminaries who have conducted and coached the CIM Orchestra in recent years, including Robert Spano, Thomas Wilkins, Stefan Sanderling, Carolyn Kuan, Jahja Ling and Michael Tilson Thomas.
The conductors' appearances are made possible by the Kulas Visiting Artist Series funded by the Kulas Foundation.
All concerts are free and open to the public; programs and ticket information will be announced at a later date.
- Fri, Sep 20, at 8pm in Kulas Hall with conductor Mélisse Brunet
- Fri, Oct 4 at 8pm in Kulas Hall with conductor Andrew Grams
- Fri, Nov 1 at 8pm in Mixon Hall with leader Todd Phillips
- Fri, Nov 22 at 8pm in Kulas Hall with conductor James Ross
- Sat, Feb 1 at 8pm in the Maltz Performing Arts Center with conductor JoAnn Falletta
- Wed, Feb 12 at 8pm in Kulas Hall with conductor Timothy Muffitt
- Tue, Mar 3 at 8pm in Mixon Hall with conductor Jaime Laredo
- Fri, Mar 27 at 8pm in Severance Hall with conductor Carlos Kalmar
- Fri, Apr 17 at 8pm in Kulas Hall with conductor Joseph Young
Read the full press release here.
Photo credits: JoAnn Falletta by Mark Dellas; Mélisse Brunet by Karen Almond; Andrew Grams by Masataka Suemitsu; Carlos Kalmar by Michael Jones; and Joseph Young by Jared Platt.