Sam Bivens received his doctorate in music theory from the Eastman School of Music in 2018 with a dissertation on form in Wagner’s Die Walküre. Alongside his extensive work on all things Wagner, current research interests include the music of the late-nineteenth century more generally, music theory pedagogy and problems of data visualization in both teaching and scholarship. He has presented on a number of these topics both in the United States and abroad.
- BM in Tuba Performance, Butler University (2009)
- MA in Music Theory Pedagogy, Eastman School of Music (2013)
- Ph.D. in Music Theory, Eastman School of Music (2018)
- Cleveland Institute of Music, 2017–present
- Eastman School of Music, 2010–2017