The 2023 fellowship will include both virtual and in-person components. The program commences in Detroit in January at the Sphinx Connect Conference. After that comes four virtual sessions led by or featuring composer José Antonio Bowen, senior fellow for the American Association of Colleges and Universities; Ronald Crutcher, president emeritus of Wheaton College; Eduardo Herrera, associate professor of folklore and musicology at Indiana University; and Maurice Wheeler, professor in the department of information science at the University of North Texas.
The fellowship concludes in June with a networking event at CIM. After that, fellows return to their respective careers, inspired and emboldened to make their voices heard and guide the nation’s cultural conversations.
Key Dates and Session Topics
The 2023 fellows are required to participate in all activities that take place on the following dates.
- January 25-26, 2023: FMFF Orientation and Opening Session: Designing Your Path Within the Academy (in-person, Detroit, MI)
- January 26-29, 2023: Sphinx Connect Conference & FMFF Alumni Reception (in-person, Detroit, MI)
- February 25-26, 2023: Navigating the Academic Job Market and Search Process as a Person of Color (virtual session)
- March 25-26, 2023: The Politics of Academia and Influencing at All Levels (virtual session)
- April 22-23, 2023: Effective Teaching and Peak Performance (virtual session)
- May 20-21, 2023: Setting Yourself Up for Advancement and Tenure Success (virtual session)
- June 14-18, 2023: Putting it All Together: Program Wrap Up and Graduation (in person, Cleveland Institute of Music, Cleveland, OH)