Founded in 1920, the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM) is one of seven independent music conservatories in the country and is known for superior orchestral, chamber music, audio recording, composition, voice and opera music programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
CIM provides students with an extraordinary learning environment, dedicated to building a career in music. Known for our superior training and a strong mentorship teaching approach, students are prepared to engage an audience from every perspective, from a grand concert stage, intimate hall and within the community.
Our internationally acclaimed faculty is comprised of practicing musicians, award-winning composers and producers, published academics, sought-after lecturers and members of The Cleveland Orchestra. Through a longstanding educational partnership with neighboring university, Case Western Reserve University, CIM students participate in a well-rounded liberal arts education and can pursue a Dual Degree outside of the music discipline. Through our Community Outreach Program, students perform as soloists or members of an ensemble in local community venues, museums and classrooms – engaging audiences that range from a handful to hundreds. CIM also provides rigorous training in a Young Artist Program for gifted pre-college musicians.
CIM alumni go on to successful performance and academic careers – working with many of the world’s most acclaimed organizations including The Cleveland Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Metropolitan Opera and the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra.
Through our Preparatory and Continuing Education division, we offer music training for all ages and abilities. Each year CIM presents more than 300 concerts and events, most are free and open to the public. CIM is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
CIM Mission, Vision and Commitments
To be the center for the education of the complete musician of the 21st Century.
The mission of the Cleveland Institute of Music is to cultivate new generations of young musicians through an immersive and creative educational process, guiding the most musically talented individuals towards fulfilling careers that engage diverse and global audiences, stimulating the understanding and love of music throughout the world.
In support of this mission:
- CIM is committed to the education of the complete musician who has a firm mastery of the classics, as well as the opportunity to experience the creation and performance of new and recent repertoire.
- CIM is committed to attracting highly-talented individuals from around the globe and guiding them to reach their musical and artistic potential.
- CIM is committed to being a resource for the community, with training for individuals of all ages and abilities.
- CIM is committed to incorporating new technologies to complement and enhance the lives and education of its students.
- CIM is committed to providing a liberal arts education which contributes to a broad, humanistic perspective for its students.
- CIM believes the act of collaboration is a necessary and vital component of every musician's development. Its distinguished faculty is committed to developing the full artistic potential of all of its students and encouraging the valuable exchange of musical ideas and approaches.