The International Student Office, located within the Registrar’s Office, is the place to get all international questions answered. You can look to this office for assistance on questions relating to being an international student from the time you are accepted into CIM until after you graduate. 

Getting Started

As an international student, once you are accepted into CIM, you have one additional step to confirm your acceptance.  You will need to email a scanned copy of the following to

  • I-20 Certification of Finances form: provides proof that you have funding to cover all expenses for the first year of school. This amount is given to you on your NetPartner account. 
  • A bank statement or certification to prove the amount entered on the form.   
  • A scanned copy of your passport that will be valid for at least six months from the start date.

Once all of your documents have been received and reviewed, you will be notified by the International Student Adviser and your I-20 will soon be created.  All I-20 are created in late May through early June on a priority and first response order.  Email communication will be used for further instructions. 

For students transferring their SEVIS record from another school, you will also need the F-1 Transfer-In Form

Current Students


  • Does not require authorization
  • Requires that work study be part of your financial aid package. The majority of jobs on campus require that you have work study as part of your financial aid package.
  • Requires you to apply for a social security number if you do not already have one. Contact International Student Adviser for more information.
Off-Campus (Curricular Practical Training CPT)
  • Must be music related
  • Are eligible to work 20 hours per week or less while school is in session.
  • Cannot be in your freshman year, all students in the sophomore year or graduate degree can work off campus with proper authorization.
  • Must fill out "Off-Campus Internship/CPT form"
  • Requires you to apply for a social security number if you do not already have one. Contact International Student Adviser for more information.
Social Security Number
  • Need to apply for SSN before you begin to work and earn money. Once you have a SSN, you will keep the same number for life. Do not lose your SS card; keep it with all of your important travel documents.
  • Need job offer letter from supervisor of job; all jobs on campus, off campus, OPT, CPT…
  • Take letter from supervisor to Kristen and request a letter for SSN
  • Need letter from DSO, plus all travel documents to apply at SS Office, see office for more information

Staying in Status

  • The 2nd page of your I-20 should be signed every 12 months. Be sure to check before you level for breaks.
  • It is important to print off your I-94 number found here
  • Please report any change to your address, phone number, or educational status to the International Student Adviser within 10 days of the change.