About the Fellowship
The Musical Pathway Fellowship (MPF)—sponsored by the Cleveland Foundation and George Gund Foundation—is designed for African American and Latinx students entering grades 5-10 who are interested in CIM's Pre-College program and pursuing a music career. Fellows receive a full scholarship covering all areas of study.
The fellowship provides exceptional artistic training delivered by CIM faculty. MPF provides ongoing, multi-year support to students, including comprehensive music instruction through high school, with a goal of preparing them to enter a conservatory or university music program upon graduation.
Why Choose MPF
MPF students participate in CIM's Pre-College program, a comprehensive course of study that includes:
- Weekly private lessons
- Classes in piano, music theory and eurhythmics and a performance seminar
- Access to educational seminars, workshops and conservatory master classes and performances
- Ensemble training provided by top faculty, including members of The Cleveland Orchestra
- College application and audition guidance
- Performance opportunities in recitals and showcases
- Optional participation in CIM's annual Preparatory Concerto Competition for a chance to perform with the CIM Orchestra in the spring
- Evaluations by juries and exams at year end
- A graduation certificate signed by CIM President and CEO Paul Hogle
In addition to the Pre-College program curriculum, MPF students meet regularly with CIM mentors and program leaders to set goals and provide feedback. To develop the musical talents of participating students, ongoing support through workshops, master classes and mentorship are offered.
Application & Audition
Now accepting applications for fall 2020! MPF students are required to apply online and audition. To ensure the health and safety of our community during the COVID-19 crisis, we are asking all applicants to submit a recorded video audition with their application.
Find important dates and deadlines, application instructions and recorded audition information below. To inquire about the fellowship and Pre-College program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, we have extended and made important changes to our application timeline.
Application & Recorded Audition Deadline: July 1, 2020
Decisions Released: July 24, 2020
Enrollment Deadline: August 1, 2020
All students applying for MPF must complete the online application and submit all necessary application materials to be eligible. In addition to completing the application, students are required to submit:
- One letter of recommendation from a person (non-family) who can attest to the student’s musical prowess and potential.
- 500-750-word essay around the provided prompts.
- Financial Aid application, if applying for need-based aid (this will be posted to your Status Page once the online application is complete).
- Recorded audition video of required repertoire.
Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, we will not be holding in-person auditions. Rather, we are accepting recorded audition videos for all 2020 applicants. Recordings should be uploaded through the "Upload Audio or Video" page of your application. Please review our tutorial regarding the proper preparation and recording of audition videos. Recorded auditions should follow the live audition repertoire requirements for Pre-College.