About the Fellowship
The Musical Pathway Fellowship (MPF)—sponsored by the Paul M. Angell Family Foundation, Cleveland Foundation, The George Gund Foundation and KeyBank Foundation—is designed for Black and Latinx students entering grades 5-12 who are interested in CIM's Pre-College program and pursuing their studies and craft. Fellows receive a full scholarship covering all areas of study.
The fellowship provides exceptional artistic training delivered by CIM faculty. MPF provides ongoing, multi-year support to students, including comprehensive music instruction through high school, with a goal of preparing them to enter a conservatory or university music program upon graduation.
Why Choose MPF
MPF students participate in CIM's Pre-College program, a comprehensive course of study that includes:
- Weekly private lessons
- Classes in piano, music theory and eurhythmics and a performance seminar
- Access to educational seminars, workshops and conservatory master classes and performances
- Ensemble training provided by top faculty, including members of The Cleveland Orchestra
- College application and audition guidance
- Performance opportunities in recitals and showcases
- Optional participation in CIM's annual Preparatory Concerto Competition for a chance to perform with the CIM Orchestra in the spring
- Performance juries each semester
- A graduation certificate signed by CIM President and CEO Paul Hogle
In addition to the Pre-College program curriculum, MPF students meet regularly with CIM mentors and program leaders to set goals and provide feedback. To develop the musical talents of participating students, ongoing support through workshops, master classes and mentorship are offered.
Application & Audition
MPF applicants are required to apply online and audition. We are currently accepting applications for the 2021-22 academic year! Applications received will be considered on a rolling basis until all positions are filled or until further notice. Learn more about the required application and audition process below. To inquire about the fellowship and Pre-College program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students applying for MPF for Fall 2021 must complete the online application and submit all necessary application materials to be eligible.
In addition to completing the application, students are required to submit:
- One letter of recommendation from a person (non-family) who can attest to the student’s musical prowess and potential.
- 500-750-word essay responding to one of the following prompts:
- Describe an important lesson learned from a challenge in your musical life. How does it continue to influence you today?
- Describe how CIM's Pre-College program will contribute to your educational and professional goals.
- If you couldn't pursue music, what career would you work toward and why that career?
- Recorded audition video of required repertoire.
Out of an abundance of caution, we will not be holding in-person auditions for Fall 2021. Rather, we are accepting recorded audition videos for all applicants. Recordings should be uploaded through the "Upload Audio or Video" page of your application. Please review our tutorial regarding the proper preparation and recording of audition videos. Recorded auditions should follow the live audition repertoire requirements for Pre-College.