You can apply to CIM as a first-semester freshman undergraduate if you:

  • Will graduate from high school/secondary school by the summer of 2018
  • Graduated high school/secondary school, but have not taken college courses since the summer after graduation
  • Have received a GED
  • Have an IB diploma

Freshman applicants must upload the following documents into your online application (see instructions for supporting documents). We accept unofficial copies at this point — but remember that you'll need to submit final, official documents before you can enroll at CIM.

Testing requirements:

  • It is recommended (but not required) that you take either the SAT or the ACT for class placement at Case Western Reserve University.
  • SAT/ACT scores are required for homeschooled applicants.
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System for international applicants.
  • Optional: Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) test results. CIM accepts AP test results in many subject areas. A score of 4 or 5 may allow you to pass out of certain general education requirements at Case Western Reserve University.  We do not accept AP test results in the area of music theory. Instead, we use the results of your admission examinations to determine advanced placement, as warranted.

Transcripts from:

  • Every previously attended high school/secondary school. If grades are not yet posted, submit a transcript showing coursework in progress.
  • Any previously attended school from which you would like to receive transfer credit. Transcripts must provide a listing, year by year, of all courses taken and the grades or marks received for each. Records must also provide the grading scale for each institution. This applies also to applicants who are homeschooled.

Two letters of recommendation:

Your application must include two letters of recommendation from persons unrelated to you who are qualified to attest to your musical ability. The online application requires that you provide the names and email addresses of the persons who have agreed to provide recommendations.

We'll contact your recommenders directly by email and ask them to submit their recommendations electronically. Recommenders may also send paper recommendations to:

Admissions Office
Cleveland Institute of Music
11021 East Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44106