We accept unofficial digital copies of documents when you apply — you’ll be able to upload them directly into your application. After admission, however, you will be required to submit final, official academic records before you can officially enroll.

CIM reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission when there are discrepancies between unofficial and official transcripts. At any time during the admission process, you may be required to provide an official record from any institution listed in your application. Falsifying statements or submitted materials (e.g., transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation) can result in denial or, if you are already enrolled, disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

Acceptable Document Formats
  • Transcripts: Ask the issuing institution for an unofficial copy of your transcript, then scan it into PDF or JPEG format. A web-based print-out showing your academic history is NOT acceptable and should NOT be uploaded. Transcripts must provide a listing, year by year, of all courses taken and the grades or marks received for each. Records must also provide the grading scale for each institution.
  • Test scores: Create PDF or JPG scans of test scores issued directly to you by the College Board, ACT, or ETS. We will also accept a screen shot showing your test scores, name, and some other identifying factor, such as your date of birth.
  • Language: To be considered, each document you submit in a language other than English must be accompanied by a notarized English translation from the issuing institution or a recognized translation service. If we cannot determine degree equivalency, you will be required to provide the transcript(s) through World Education Services. We will not accept documents submitted without notarized translations.
  • Transmittal: You must upload all supporting documents into your online application. DO NOT mail paper copies or forward email attachments of academic records unless directed to do so by the CIM Admissions Office.

If you cannot obtain unofficial copies of your documents, you may have official copies mailed to:
   Cleveland Institute of Music Office of Admissions
   11021 East Boulevard
   Cleveland, OH 44106


Tips for Scanning Documents
  • Legibility: All scans must be clearly legible. We recommend grayscale or black and white.
  • Completeness: Make sure to scan every page of each record, including backs of transcripts when they are not blank.
  • File types: Only PDF or JPEG files are accepted.
  • Document orientation: Scan records printed vertically (portrait) so that they appear in portrait format in the PDF. Likewise, scan transcripts printed horizontally (landscape) so that they appear in landscape format in the PDF.
  • Markings: Before scanning, be sure to mark out the Social Security Number (SSN) if it is printed. Other than that, there should be no marks on your records.

If you need assistance, public libraries, office supply stores and other services can create scanned documents for you. Using scanning apps on your device is also acceptable as long as it creates a PDF or JPEG file. 

Secondary School Transcripts

If you are applying for undergraduate study (transfer applicants included), you must upload transcripts from all secondary schools you have attended. We accept applications from students who completed the General Education Development (GED) Program.

Transcripts, including homeschool, must provide a listing, year by year, of all courses taken and the grades or marks received, including the grading scale for each institution. Homeschooled applicants should be aware of their state’s high school graduation requirements as each homeschool transcript is evaluated with the state’s base requirements.

Official copies of transcripts (or equivalent) showing date of graduation are required before beginning classes. The Registrar's Office requires that these be submitted during the summer after acceptance and before registration.

Advanced Placement Scores

CIM grants degree credit and placement in advanced courses based on the results of College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, successful completion of International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, and CIM-administered admission examinations. Appropriate Case Western Reserve University departments also make credit and placement determinations.

  • AP: College Board Advanced Placement score of 4 or higher may receive favorable consideration. If you wish to take the AP examinations but are enrolled in a high school that does not offer Advanced Placement courses, you may contact your high school counselor for registration information. It is your responsibility to obtain Advanced Placement scores and upload them to your application. Credit must be declared and awarded during your first year of study. To request express shipment of AP scores, phone 888.225.5427.
  • IB: Advanced placement credit can also be awarded for International Baccalaureate courses. To receive advanced placement consideration, you must complete the HL Test for all courses, except languages, for which the SL Test is required. Depending upon test score results, 3-7 credits per subject can be awarded.

It is recommended that undergraduates (including transfer applicants) who are U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents submit an ACT or SAT test report with the online application. If you have not yet registered for one of these examinations, please do so as soon as possible.

  • ACT: CIM school code is 3250. Phone 319.337.1313 to order a score report.
  • SAT: CIM school code is 1124. Phone 866.756.7346 to order a score report.

You must upload SAT/ACT test reports separately, even if they are recorded on your secondary school transcripts.

SAT or ACT scores are required for homeschool applicants who have not received a GED as well as dual degree applicants.