CIM's Black Student Union was founded in March 2019 by four students -- Hollie Greenwood (BM '22, Dixon), Julian Maddox (BM '19, Preucil/Winkler; MM '21, Laredo/Sloman), Chad Polk (BM '21, Robinson), and Philip Williams (Sullivan) -- with the mission of improving Black student life on campus, and enriching relationships among all student groups. We serve as a safe space for Black students to share their experiences on campus as well as a place for supportive allies to continue to learn and uplift Black culture and music. Everyone is welcomed at BSU events!
The BSU works closely with CIM administration to positively impact the school at large, provide mentorship to the Musical Pathways Fellows, host social events for Black and Latinx students on campus, and engage various members of the Classical music community across the nation.
We host events annually, which everyone is welcome to attend!
- Bi-weekly meetings including article/book club discussions, team-building activities, student-led cultural presentations, and support sessions
- Benefit Concert with faculty members
- Spring Solo Recital
- BSU Olympics
- Study Night
- BSU Studio Class
- Listening Parties
- Movie Nights
- Trips to SphinxConnect and the Gateways Music Festival
- Guest Speaker Events
- Student Forums
Once enrolled at CIM, we welcome you to join the official BSU group chat where we keep our members updated on news and events.
Meet the 2022-2023 Executive Board
Get in touch with the leaders of the BSU at email@example.com.
- President: Kiana Lilly (MM1, voice)
- Vice President: Marquise Bradley (BM4, clarinet)
- Student Engagement Chair: Govanny Brown (BM2, viola)
- Secretary: Daniel Dorsey (BM2, cello)
- Treasurer: Breanna Lang (BM4, viola)