CIM Community Message on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As a diverse and globally engaged conservatory with world-class students and faculty, the Cleveland Institute of Music is closely monitoring the spread of the coronavirus, known as COVID-19, and urges everyone to take appropriate cautionary measures to protect their health and that of the community. There are currently no confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 at CIM.
CIM partners with Case Western Reserve University for student health services and works collaboratively with CWRU on the health and safety of the entire campus community. Visit CWRU’s comprehensive page with detailed information, campus policies and procedures and information about how to access health and mental health services.
In addition to working closely with CWRU, CIM is following the guidelines set forth by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Cuyahoga County Department of Health (CCDH).
For the latest emails to the CIM community, visit the links below. Please keep in mind that information can change rapidly, so you should check here, CWRU and the government sites above regularly.
- April 3 Message to Students: Grading policy changes
- April 2 Message to Faculty & Staff: Work from home (versions for staff and faculty)
- April 2 Message to Students & Employees: Commencement
- March 20 Message to Students & Employees: Building hours update (versions for Students, Faculty, Staff)
- March 19 Message to Students: Juries, Recitals, Chamber Music and Orchestra
- March 19 Message to Students: Withdrawal and Pass/Fail information
- March 18 Message to Students & Employees: Monitor temperature and prepare for possible building closure
- March 18 Message to Students & Employees: Library to close
- March 16 Message to Students & Employees: Building hours and online FAQ
- March 15 Message to Students: Operational updates
- March 15 Message to Faculty: Operational updates
- March 15 Message to Staff: Business operations
- March 13 Message to Prep Families: Suspending in-person teaching through the rest of the semester
- March 13 Message to Dorm Residents: Departure information
- March 13 Message to Students & Employees: Remote education through the rest of the semester
- March 12 Message to Prep Families: All in-person instruction suspended
- March 12 Message to Dorm Residents: Changes to on-campus housing process
- March 12 Message to Students: All in-person instruction now suspended
- March 12 Message to Faculty: All in-person instruction now suspended
- March 12 Message to Staff: Telecommuting starts March 16
- March 11 Message to Public: All public events canceled
- March 11 Message to Faculty: Prevention, protection follow-up
- March 10 Message to Prep Families: Online instruction available
- March 10 Message to Students: Spring break extended; online instruction available
- March 10 Message to Faculty: Spring break extended; online instruction available
- March 10 Message to Staff: Limited access to facilities
- March 6 Message to Students: Travel update
- March 6 Message to Faculty/Staff: Travel update
- March 3 Message to Students: COVID-19
- March 3 Message to Faculty/Staff: COVID-19
If You Plan to Travel – Let Us Know
If CIM students, faculty or staff plan to travel in the coming weeks, please keep in mind the following:
CIM is tracking travel alerts and advisories closely. Expect that some members of the CIM community may need to adjust travel plans in light of the current situation. Please pay close attention to the current international travel restrictions and advisories as they are updated regularly.
All CIM students are strongly encouraged to voluntarily report travel plans (both inside the US and internationally) using this form.
All CIM employees are strongly encouraged to voluntarily report travel plans (both inside the US and internationally) using this form.
Knowing your plans will help CIM assist you in determining the safety of your travel.
Per the protocol CWRU announced on February 1, all members of the campus community who are returning from a country under Levels 2 and 3 warning status are required to submit this form at least three business days prior to returning to campus. A University Health Services staff member will follow up with information safety measures to follow upon your return.
Keep in mind that, as the global situation evolves, travelers may be stranded outside of or in the US as a result of flight changes, entry rules and/or quarantine requirements, with little or no notice. It is your responsibility to understand the inherent risks of travel.
Any CIM student, faculty, or staff member who may have traveled within the last two weeks internationally or in the US where COVID-19 is present and develops symptoms of lower respiratory illness—which include cough, shortness of breath and fever—should immediately contact your doctor or Case Western Reserve University’s Health Service at 216.368.2450. It is important that you inform the scheduler that you traveled recently and describe your symptoms.
Prevention & Protection
CIM has already put in place measures to fight the spread of germs, such as limiting in-person instructional events and providing hand sanitizer, tissues and hard surface wipes at various locations within our buildings.
We also ask that all community members follow these best practices to keep the CIM community healthy:
Stay home and seek medical attention if you are not feeling well, especially if you are experiencing a fever, cough, shortness of breath or other flu-like symptoms.
Wash your hands often with soap and water (20 seconds of scrubbing) or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water is not readily available. Be sure to cover all surfaces and rub until dry.
Cough/sneeze into a tissue or the crook of your elbow. Dispose of used tissues immediately into the trash. Then wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, which accelerates the spread of infections. In addition, avoid close contact with people who are sick.