CIM Community Message on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As a diverse and globally engaged conservatory with world-class students and faculty, the Cleveland Institute of Music is closely monitoring the spread of the coronavirus, known as COVID-19, and urges everyone to take appropriate cautionary measures to protect their health and that of the community. There are currently no confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 at CIM.
CIM partners with Case Western Reserve University for student health services and works collaboratively with CWRU on the health and safety of the entire campus community. Visit CWRU’s comprehensive page with detailed information, campus policies and procedures and information about how to access health and mental health services.
In addition to working closely with CWRU, CIM is following the guidelines set forth by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Cuyahoga County Department of Health (CCDH).
To read past emails sent to the CIM community about COVID-19 and business operations, visit the links below. More recent communications regarding the return to campus for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, visit cim.edu/return-to-campus/communications.
- April 20 Message to Students: Credits and refunds
- April 13 Message to Students: CARES Act emergency relief funds
- April 3 Message to Students: Grading policy changes
- April 2 Message to Faculty & Staff: Work from home (versions for staff and faculty)
- April 2 Message to Students & Employees: Commencement
- March 20 Message to Students & Employees: Building hours update (versions for Students, Faculty, Staff)
- March 19 Message to Students: Juries, Recitals, Chamber Music and Orchestra
- March 19 Message to Students: Withdrawal and Pass/Fail information
- March 18 Message to Students & Employees: Monitor temperature and prepare for possible building closure
- March 18 Message to Students & Employees: Library to close
- March 16 Message to Students & Employees: Building hours and online FAQ
- March 15 Message to Students: Operational updates
- March 15 Message to Faculty: Operational updates
- March 15 Message to Staff: Business operations
- March 13 Message to Prep Families: Suspending in-person teaching through the rest of the semester
- March 13 Message to Dorm Residents: Departure information
- March 13 Message to Students & Employees: Remote education through the rest of the semester
- March 12 Message to Prep Families: All in-person instruction suspended
- March 12 Message to Dorm Residents: Changes to on-campus housing process
- March 12 Message to Students: All in-person instruction now suspended
- March 12 Message to Faculty: All in-person instruction now suspended
- March 12 Message to Staff: Telecommuting starts March 16
- March 11 Message to Public: All public events canceled
- March 11 Message to Faculty: Prevention, protection follow-up
- March 10 Message to Prep Families: Online instruction available
- March 10 Message to Students: Spring break extended; online instruction available
- March 10 Message to Faculty: Spring break extended; online instruction available
- March 10 Message to Staff: Limited access to facilities
- March 6 Message to Students: Travel update
- March 6 Message to Faculty/Staff: Travel update
- March 3 Message to Students: COVID-19
- March 3 Message to Faculty/Staff: COVID-19
Prevention & Protection
CIM has stepped up its already stringent cleaning protocols so students and their families and our faculty and staff can have peace of mind when they return. Learn more about the protocols and safety measures currently in place. We also ask that all community members follow these best practices:
Stay home and seek medical attention if you are not feeling well, especially if you are experiencing a fever, cough, shortness of breath or other flu-like symptoms.
You should also remain at home if you've been exposed to someone who is ill or has tested positive for COVID-19. Please quarantine yourself away from others until you are feeling better or you have completed any mandatory quarantine or isolation due to close contact or a positive test results.
Wash your hands often with soap and water (20 seconds of scrubbing) or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water is not readily available. Be sure to cover all surfaces and rub until dry.